Panasonic Avionics Corporation (Panasonic Avionics) has announced a wide range of new features for its sought-after in-flight map platform, Arc. The company’s Arc v2.0 release is a significant progression for the entire in-flight map category, and features live data capabilities and new tools that give customers control of their map experience.
Arc v2.0 delivers advanced map design in a connected environment, and fully leverages the technology of Panasonic Avionics’ NEXT and its recently launched Astrova in-flight entertainment systems.
First unveiled in 2019, Arc is Panasonic Avionics’ 3D integrated moving map application designed to enrich the passenger travel experience and has been ordered by 25 airlines. Offering a wide range of innovative new features to the traditional in-flight map application, Arc expands the concept into a fully integrated in-flight entertainment experience across Panasonic Avionics’ portfolio of in-flight solutions.
• Arc Weather: regularly updated weather data, presented both globally and specific to the flight’s destination, as well as other locations of the passenger’s choice. Arc Weather is just the first of many live, data-enabled features and map content layers that will become available in future releases
• Arc Studio: extend the flexibility and longevity of the map with this web-based designer’s tool to update and manage map data such as place names, landmarks, or points of interest. Future capabilities include authoring and deploying new templates for map content and views.
• Information for Islamic passengers: an updated Mecca pointer, and relevant timings for each day during Ramadan.
• Enhanced city guides: incorporate new design elements into points of interest and create custom articles to drive destination engagement and bolster partnerships.
Panasonic Avionics will be showcasing the Arc v2.0 features at APEX/IFSA Expo in Long Beach, California from 25-26 October
In addition to Arc v2.0, upcoming features for its next major Arc release in 2023 will be revealed:
• Arc 3D for handsets: a fully native application designed to deliver the Arc experience in your own hands, a future release will enable Arc as a fully-functioning interactive map experience designed specifically for our Premium Handset.
• Arc Flight Simulator: a new paradigm in map control. Using the at-seat screen or handset, passengers can take simulated control of their flight, navigate the world, and play flight-related games.
Dominic Green, Senior Director of Digital Product Management at Panasonic Avionics, says, “Arc 2.0 takes in-flight maps to the next level. It leverages our proven design thinking, the latest 4K technology, and in-flight connectivity to deliver a breadth of real time information and insights in flight.”